Thursday, September 17, 2009

in pursuit of the perfect sponge...


Baking does have its ups and downs. I'm not a genius at it so I do have a whole list of things I still can't bake properly. Like scones. Or bread. Or sponge cakes...That's why I named the blog 'in pursuit of baking'. I love to bake but I'm also very new at it. There is still a lot for me to learn, and I'm not there yet. Your thoughts, tips and pointers are greatly appreciated! And if you've tried the recipes, do let me know how it turns out and how it can be improved :)

Although sponge cakes may look simple, they're one of the hardest things to make. My journey in baking sponges has been filled with more troughs than peaks. The first two times I made them, they're dense as rocks (such an irony! lol). The third time, they're more fluffy. This time, even though it's soft and rollable, I'd like it "spongier" :D 

The reason why sponges are hard to make is because it does not use any raising agent such as baking powder or baking soda. It depends entirely on beaten eggs! I read up a few articles here and there and all pointed to the same secret ingredient: Air. You have to beat enough air into the eggs and sugar, and keep the air when folding in the flour. If only manuals can magically empower me with the ability to look out for and create the consistency! I guess practice and practice makes better. But so far, I've found these tips very helpful:

One
Start with eggs in room temperature (they will rise more easily)

Two
Beat the eggs and sugar at HIGH for 6-8 minutes, then continue beating on LOW for 2 or more minutes. 
(I first found this tip in happyhomebaking and it made all the difference between the 2nd and 3rd sponge cake; when a sponge cake recipe requires tripling in volume, around 8 mins of mixing is needed! And this is electric mixer duration. The second stage of mixing is to get rid of the large air bubbles. The end result should be a smooth, thick, white batter which forms ribbons on the surface when you lift up the beater; Happyhomebaker also has a video on it).

Three
Triple-sift the flour and fold it in with a metal spoon (to keep more air in)

Four
Completely cool the butter (or it'll make the cake more pancake

Five
When folding in the butter: either i) mix a little of the cake mixture to it first before combining everything or ii) pour it down the sides

Six
Beat the eggs and sugar on simmering water for the first few minutes.
There are probably more but I haven't come across them yet. 

Having some cream cheese mousse left over from Saturday's baking, I decided to try my luck at making a swiss roll...I found the recipe on Martha Stewart's website and her video clip shed light on how to roll a sponge. I didn't know there was such a technique! Even if you're not baking, it's worth checking out!


Overall, I'm pretty happy about how my first swiss roll turn out and I had fun rolling it :D I'll just have to work on how to make it "spongier" and more airy next time :)


Martha Stewart's Jelly Roll
adapted from here 
(serves 8 to 10)

Ingredients 
(For Cake)
2/3 cup of all purpose flour (sifted)
Pinch of salt
3 large whole eggs + 2 egg yolk
1/2 cup caster sugar
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Matcha powder for dusting (if whipped cream/jam filling, use confectioner's sugar) 

(For Filling)
Green tea cream cheese mousse
Or just whipped cream and strawberry/raspberry jam

Method
1. Preheat oven to 220C and line baking sheet on a baking tray. 
2. Whisk in the flour and salt together in a bowl.
3. In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over (not in) simmering water, whisk eggs, yolks, and granulated sugar until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch. 
4. Take out and beat on high speed for 6-8 minutes until mixture is pale and thick. 
5. Turn speed to low and beat about 2 minutes more.  
6. Sift flour mixture over egg mixture; using a large rubber spatula, carefully fold. When almost incorporated, pour melted butter down side of bowl; gently fold to combine.
7. Bake: Using an offset spatula, spread batter evenly into prepared sheet. Bake cake until golden brown and springy to the touch, 6 to 7 minutes.

Rolling 
1. Meanwhile, dust a clean kitchen towel with matcha powder. 
2. After the cake is done, run a knife around sides of cake and invert onto the prepared towel, and remove baking paper.
3. While the sheet cake is still warm, gently roll starting from one short side, into a log, incorporating the kitchen towel. 
4. Let the cake cool completely, rolled. (This will give the cake a "shape memory", so it will be easier to roll again with filling.)
5. Unroll cake. Spread with filling, leaving a 1cm border on all sides. 
6. Roll cake to enclose filling (without towel), starting with a short end. 
7. Wrap the towel around rolled cake, securing with clips or clothespins to help retain the shape.
8. Refrigerate cake 30 minutes (or up to 3 hours). Dust with matcha powder, cut into slices with a serrated knife, and serve.

2 comments:

  1. hiya tiff, I see you baking alot...hehe :D
    so nice that you can make lots of stuff *which look nice tooo*, make more for oikos! hohoho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx, yea I hope to make something for you all soon :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails